Thursday, August 25, 2011

I may have appeared to walk alone...

This past Sunday I did something that was very difficult for me to do, I walked into church alone. I walked into a church that I don't regularly attend, where practically nobody knows me with my head held high and a huge smile plastered accross my face! Alone!
As I mentioned in a previous post I had no problem walking into my old church alone because I was already very comfortable there (we've since moved away from the city where the church is). Since moving to our new town I had only attended church 3 times, and it was with a friend of mine who has since moved accross the country. And because I didn't get to know anybody at the church I didn't feel comfortable to go back alone.
But, Saturday evening I had this overwhelming urge to attend a service. I just knew that I had to get up in the morning and go. I can't begin to tell you how nervous I was. I prayed over and over for God to lead me in the right direction, to give me the confidance to go alone, and to soften my heart and mind so I ould be open to the people and the sermon. By Sunday morning I felt ready and excited to go. I was up bright and early and had some time before I needed to leave and decided that a bit of quiet time with the Lord was what I needed. I opened my bible and I was brought to Psalms 23:
The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
This Psalm has comforted me in the past, and it was funny that my random page flipping brought me there. I actually laughed out loud, I really felt like I was getting the biggest message of all, from the big man Himself! I can't be afraid of walking into church alone. Because I am never alone. Jesus is always with me. He has lead me through so many things in life both good and bad, that surely I can walk into this church knowing that I don't need one other person beside me, as long as I have Him! So away I went. And no joke, the smile on my face as I walked through those church doors was all because I knew Jesus was right there with me. The worship was amazing, the sermon was good, and everyone I spoke to was friendly. I can't believe it took me this long to figure out what should have been so simple. I'm never alone. So now I've conqured my fear, and on Sunday morning I will be there again. And even though I appear to walk in alone... We are never alone. Thank you, Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. So good! Keep going and get involved. You, like the rest of us, need that fellowship and support.

    ReplyDelete